Making bread is something I enjoy and I tried making it a bit fancy this time. I saw these lovely braided bread on the internet and I decided to make it myself.
I have made chocolate babka bread with the same type of folds before and I wanted to take the look a level higher. Tried colouring the bread for the first time, yup, I was sceptical about it at first but it turned out pretty well. I coloured these using food colour this time but I guess beetroot and a few other veggies will go pretty well…… anyway, just a little something until I come up with another recipe, Happy BAKING!!!
Rainbow Braided Wheat Bread
- 8 gms Yeast (2 tsp)
- 14 gms Sugar (1 tbsp)
- 250 gms Whole wheat flour (2 cups)
- 1 pinch Salt
- 100 ml Lukewarm water (as needed)
- 30 ml Oil (2 tbsp)
- Food colouring (a few drops)
- Butter (for coating)
- Take 2 tsp of active dry yeast and add it into a glass. Add sugar and about 2 tbsp of water to it and let it rest for 5-8 mins.
- Take 2 cups flour on the working surface and make a well. Add salt of the rims and the active yeast mixture in the between.Add little water at a time start kneading the dough.
- Knead for about 2 minutes and divide into 3 equal parts.
- Take one of the parts, add few drops of yellow food colouring and about 1.5 tsp oil and knead it well. Repeat the same process for other parts of the dough with other colours. NOTE: You need to knead a lot in order for the colour to incorporate full or you will be left with unevenly coloured dough.
- Once done, proof the dough separately in an oil-coated bowl for about 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, knock the air out of the dough by punching it down and roll them using your fingers into a long tube.
- Take the 3 strands and braid them using the technique show in the link mentioned below.
- Line it in a baking tray and give it a diluted milk wash, bake at 200-degree Celcius or 392 degrees Fahrenheit for 12 minutes. Remove and apply some butter on top. Enjoy!!!