Panna cotta is something that amazed me when I first saw it on one of the trending Instagram posts. I had recently joined the culinary school and that’s when I came across gelatin, after referring to a couple of videos on youtube about agar agar I started experimenting with it.
Started making panna cotta and the first 3-4 attempts turned into a block of icecreams since I put the mixture in the freezer rather than Refridgerator. The next few were super stiff due to an excess of agar agar but I finally hit the perfect ratio of Ingredients, A lovely soft and jiggly pannacotta. Pair it with strawberry jam or serve along with seasonal fruits and enjoy!!!
Tropical Panna cotta
- 250 ml Heavy cream (sweetened) (1 cup)
- 50 ml Milk (1/4th cup)
- 50 gms Sugar (4 tbsp)
- 3 gms Agar Agar (1/2 tsp)
- 5 ml Vanilla Extract (1 tsp)
- Any fruits (as per choice)
- Start by adding cream to a saucepan and cook for 2-3 mins. Add milk & Agar Agar to the saucepan and bring to boil
- Once boiling, simmer for 2 mins and take off the heat. Add Sugar andVanilla Extract to the saucepan at this stage.
- Once sugar dissolves and the mixture is cooled, transfer it to moulds and set in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours till it becomes stiff.
- Remove once it becomes stiff and demould carefully. NOTE: Run the mould under some water if it does not come out easily.
- I added homemade fruit jellies. It is 100ml fruit juice boiled along with 1/2 tsp agar agar, let it cool down, and then refrigerate it. You can add fresh fruits or jams as well.
- Agar agar is a. vegetarian gelatin made using vegetable fat. It will help set the dessert and stiffens it up. Always boil the agar agar to activate you.
- Always keep the dessert with agar agar content in the fridge not FREEZER or else you'll end up with a block of ice cream.